b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A Reader's Hebrew Old Testament

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Heard, Christopher" <Christopher.Heard AT pepperdine.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A Reader's Hebrew Old Testament
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:59:16 +0000

On 19/01/2005 17:53, Heard, Christopher wrote:

Well, first of all I should probably say that I was thinking in terms of
students actually undergoing Hebrew instruction -- as in, having flashbacks
to how overly reliant I and some of my friends became on
Armstrong-Busby-Carr.

Well, I can agree that it is not good to become overly reliant on such aids (come to think of it, it is not good to become overly reliant on anything, by definition), and that there may be some danger of becoming overly reliant on this proposed aid.

I could probably argue that either way, but let me just expose a little bit
of my reasoning as to why the answer might be "yes." Or, at least, if the
tool in question simply gives brief glosses as does Armstrong-Busby-Carr or
Accordance. ...

I also agree that there are real dangers in relying on any kind of tool which gives brief glosses rather than careful definitions. But the other side of this one is that if readers are expected to use BDB, KB etc to look up every word which is not immediately familiar, and to study the entries in detail rather than use the glosses which even BDB and KB give, then their progress in reading the text will be extremely painfully slow. They will fail to appreciate the overall message because they are so focused on individual words, failing to see the wood for the trees. And they will quickly become discouraged. So there is a fine line to be trodden here. And the proposed aid may be helpful for some in treading there.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)