b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A Reader's Hebrew Old Testament

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A Reader's Hebrew Old Testament
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:46:03 -0500

Chris:

IMHO students undergoing instruction in Hebrew are precisely those I think
would be least well served by such a volume.

I was already instructed back in my day not to use an analytical lexicon, but
after class I used it until pages started falling out and scattering to the
four winds, after which I consigned what remained to the recycle bin. It was
very good practice for me to look at the text and try to understand it while
trying to avoid the hassle of leafing through the dictionary, but still
having it as a backup to correct myself. (That analytical lexicon listed all
words under their traditionally understood roots. Trying to recognize which
root a word stemmed from (to avoid leafing through the dictionary twice for
each lookup) became an excellent education.)

The purpose of Hebrew class is to get a feel for the language, not just to
regurgitate someone's translation, which is about all one can do with short
glosses on the page. Why not then have an interlinier? I think that just
clicking on a word and having BDB or KB pop up is almost too simple, but I
think even those would give a better feel for the language than just a short
gloss on the page.

I think those who would be best served by such a volume would be those who
don't really want to learn the language, but need a certain familiarity with
the language for theological reasons. Those who want to go beyond a mere
theological reading of the text but actually have some familiarity with the
language would be better served by software packages, such as Accordance. In
this day with software tools available, I think there would be a very small
market for the paper book you propose.

Karl W. Randolph.