b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A Reader's Hebrew Old Testament

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Heard, Christopher" <Christopher.Heard AT pepperdine.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A Reader's Hebrew Old Testament
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:38:09 +0000

On 18/01/2005 15:48, Heard, Christopher wrote:

On 1/15/05 9:12 AM, "A. Philip Brown II" <apbrown2 AT prodigy.net> wrote:

It will be paper. I¹m not targeting in-class students so much as those who
have completed a year or more of Hebrew and want to read their OT regularly,
but are unwilling to take the time to look up all the words they don¹t know.
That targeted audience is, even at a conservative estimate, easily 60% of
all students who take 1 or more years of Hebrew.

Philip,

First, I have to admit that I have a bit of a _philosophical_ problem with
this approach. Why play to readers' laziness?

This seems like a strange philosophy, Chris. Do you have a philosophical problem with all labour and time saving devices? Do you do all your washing by hand? Do you walk everywhere? Just as cars and washing machines save time and effort, so does having dictionary glosses on the same page rather in a separate book. I could agree that it doesn't help students to save them making real effort to learn the language, but is it really the best use of their language learning time to spend much of it leafing through dictionaries for the right entry?

My problem with this work is that I see little market for it as a large bulk of paper when it can be done more efficiently and cheaply with already existing computer tools.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)