b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 "bruise"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 "bruise"
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:55:38 +0000

On 24/12/2004 08:07, George F Somsel wrote:

Sorry George, I meant Jim.

Karl W. Rnadolph.

_____________

In the spirit of "the last shall be first" (and since it's quickly gotten
out of the way), was my name mentioned and I didn't notice? Well, it
doesn't matter so long as you didn't insult my parentage or ethics, but
you did pique my curiosity.

He only confused you with Jim, which I hope is rather less of an insult :-)

That something should be called "periphrastic" seems somewhat different
from saying that it is a paraphrase. One is "in the style of a
paraphrase" whereas the other is the thing itself. There are many
translations which might be called periphrastic which are in reality
translations. ...

I think you mean "paraphrastic", not "periphrastic". At least, Karl wrote "paraphrastic", which means "Of, relating to, or having the nature of paraphrase" (according to The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000).

Yes, I can reluctantly accept "paraphrastic translation" in the sense of "non-literal translation", although I note that a paraphrase can actually be highly literal, e.g. a word-for-word update of KJV to modern English. This avoids the misconception that these versions are not translations but something less. But there are several other words generally used to describe non-literal translations, such as "free", "dynamic equivalence", "functional equivalence", "meaning-based", "indirect" - see my article (sorry about the period). I don't think it helps anyone to have yet another new term introduced here, unless it has a clearly defined distinction from the other terms.

I am sensitive about this one because I see "paraphrase" and sometimes "paraphrastic translation" being used as pejorative terms, often by those who understand neither the translation method nor its justification.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)