b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, Revdpickrel AT wmconnect.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:42:07 +0000

On 24/12/2004 02:10, Jim West wrote:

At 08:23 PM 12/23/2004, you wrote:

If we're seriously going to search the OT for the author or authors we first must find and separate all colophons in Genesis. Are you game?

Doug Pickrel
Tejas Valley
San Antonio, TX

I don't think I am. There is not a single solitary book in the whole of the Hebrew Bible that names an author. And I don't care what the colophons of various manuscripts say to the contrary. Hence, your "authors" will all be imaginary- like the characters of Tolkeins books or Lewis's chronicles of Narnia.

Jim, I think you are being needlessly offensive in comparing biblical characters with characters in fictional works. Can't we leave it that we are unsure about authorship of biblical books? We don't need to bring in the quite separate allegation that the characters themselves are imaginary.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)