b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 "bruise"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 "bruise"
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:37:28 -0500

Peter:

I noticed that
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=paraphrase has the
entry:

Main Entry: 1para·phrase
Pronunciation: 'par-&-"frAz
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French, from Latin paraphrasis, from Greek, from
paraphrazein to paraphrase, from para- + phrazein to point out
1 : a restatement of a text, passage, or work giving the meaning in another
form
2 : the use or process of paraphrasing in studying or teaching composition

Definition #2 we can ignore.

I looked up a few dictionaries on line, and they all gave the same
definition. None of them restricted paraphrase to within a language. Because
sometimes a direct translation comes up gibberish, I noticed that when I
worked as a translator, I always had to restate something in a form other
than a direct translation to give an understandable meaning. I was one of
those translators who does not like deviating from the original text, but
many times I had to in order to make the message contained in the original
understandable to those speaking the target language. That has always been my
understanding of "paraphrase".

Karl W. Randolph.