b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 "bruise"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 "bruise"
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 21:16:43 -0500

Peter:

When I hear "direct translation", most people are thinking of a word for word
translation. For reasons discussed before, that is impossible.

But the question is: how much paraphrasing can be done before it crosses the
line from merely making the ideas in one language understandable in another,
as a subset of translation, to becoming an original work of art pushing its
own ideas? All of us have seen examples of such misuse of paraphrase, where
it has become the boss rather than the servant of translation, hence why we
are so leery of "paraphrase".

Karl W. Randolph.