b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 "bruise"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 "bruise"
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:16:58 +0000

On 23/12/2004 02:16, Karl Randolph wrote:

Peter:

When I hear "direct translation", most people are thinking of a word for word
translation. For reasons discussed before, that is impossible.

But the question is: how much paraphrasing can be done before it crosses the line from
merely making the ideas in one language understandable in another, as a subset of
translation, to becoming an original work of art pushing its own ideas? All of us have
seen examples of such misuse of paraphrase, where it has become the boss rather than
the servant of translation, hence why we are so leery of "paraphrase".

I am only leery of this continuing abuse of the word "paraphrase". For some of my thoughts on the other issues here, see my draft paper http://www.qaya.org/academic/bibletranslation/Holy%20Communicative.zip.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)