b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8 lamo

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, Vadim Cherny <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8 lamo
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:27:55 +0000

On 20/12/2004 16:53, Uri Hurwitz wrote:

*/Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>/* wrote:

"...I can find a number of examples of semantic shift between cognates
within the Semitic triliteral system. A simple one is "shalom" = "peace"
(Hebrew) and "salaam" = "greetings" (Arabic). Semantically linked, of
course, but the Arabic meaning is significantly weakened"....
Two comments:
A. In Arabic too the root can clearly mean peace;( look up under "salaam", but also "silm");

Which proves my point: even within a language with triliteral roots there can be significant semantic shift.

B. In both languages the original meaning was probably "completeleness, fullness"; (again you'll find examples in both languages).

Again this proves my point: the etymological or "original" meaning is not a good guide to current meaning.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)