b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8 lamo

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8 lamo
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:24:00 +0000

On 19/12/2004 11:00, Vadim Cherny wrote:

To find out the
meaning, we need to establish the etymology. ...

No, no, NO!!! Meaning is not established by etymology. Meaning is established by usage in context. Etyomology can be a very dangerous guide to meaning because of meaning shifts over centuries. The etymology of the English word "nice" is from Latin "nescius" which means "ignorant". But "nice" does not mean "ignorant".

...As I wrote earlier, your example of lifnei demonstrates well that smihut
meaning is likely a considerable expansion. We cannot make conclusions as to
the meaning of lamo from the mere fact that derivative form (basically, a
preposition) lmo is used few times (only) as emphatic for singular.

Agreed. Even if we agree that etymologically lamo and lmo form an absolute/construct pair, that is a poor guide to meaning because the meanings of the absolute and construct could have shifted apart.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)