b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8 lamo

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, Vadim Cherny <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8 lamo
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:04:38 +0000

On 21/12/2004 01:05, Uri Hurwitz wrote:

*/Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>/* wrote:

On 20/12/2004 16:53, Uri Hurwitz wrote:

> ..."... In both languages the original meaning was probably
> "completeleness, fullness"; (again you'll find examples in both
> languages)."

To which Peter responded:

Again this proves my point: the etymological or "original" meaning is
not a good guide to current meaning.

UH: Not in the MT where you'll find many examples of the
original meaning of ShLM "completion" both in verbs, e.g. 1
Kings 7:51 -- watishlam kol hamelakha , or nouns e.g. "shelamim" a
type of sacrifice.

Uri
Again, this proves my point. The semantics of the ShLM root in Hebrew are very varied because of semantic shift. Words from this root can mean "completion", "peace", "greeting" and a kind of sacrifice (and that's just a start). It is a serious mistake to try to force these different senses of different words into one meaning. Older translations tried this by calling this sacrifice a "peace offering", but scholars have realised that this is a misunderstanding, and so this translation has now been abandoned.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)