b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:14:41 +0000

On 14/12/2004 18:39, Vadim Cherny wrote:

Peter Kirk wrote:

But if "The reduced vowel may elongate back to kamatz in pausal", lamo
is simply the non-pausal variant of lmo, or vice versa. <

You assume that schwa in lmo is a reduction, and therefore might elongate. I
don't recall elongation of schwa into kamatz in l:noun form. Why should l:mo
elongate, then? The schwa under preposition is not an immediate reduction.

I tend to assume that sheva is always a reduction, except perhaps in mid-word consonant clusters. I don't know if this is quite true, but seems to be mostly so.

Sheva after l- does expand to qamats in pause: L:KF lekha > LFK: lakh. L- also takes qamats and the stress before MFH ma, giving the forms LF^M.FH, LF^MFH and LF^MEH (GKC 102l). These are not nouns, but then we are not talking about nouns.

In fact one possibility is that LF^MOW lamo is a variant of LF^MFH, the variation perhaps being to indicate loss of interrogative force.

See also GKC 102f-i for a whole set of circumstances in which l- takes qamats "Immediately before the tone-syllable, i.e. before monosyllables and dissyllables with the tone on the penultima". At least one of these circumstances (GKC 102h) applies only in pause. And these are mostly before nouns. But these cases of l- + qamats remain unstressed.

I think there is semantic gap between cmo, bmo, lmo, and lamo. While the
former preceed an object, lamo itself could be employed as an object.
Compare, say, cmo boker with nega lamo in Isaiah 53:8. This is why I agree
with Steinberg that lamo (unlike lmo) includes a pronoun (l:hem:o).

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)