b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:03:01 -0500

Vadim:

Where is the indication that this is a prophesy concerning their posterity
and not to them personally? Where does it say that Canaan did not personally
become a slave to Shem?

You can't use Genesis 49 as an example, as that specifically indicates that
Jacob's statement is a prophesy. But there is no such indication in Genesis
9. Therefore I conclude that your claim is an eisegesis done to maintain the
fiction that LMW must refer a plural.

Karl W. Randolph.

Karl Randolph wrote:

> You wrote, "Take Gen 9:26, which Harold brings forward as the most
> relevant to singular. Canaan will the slave of Shem. Of course,
> Noah does not speak of one person becoming a slave to another, but
> rather of their posterity. The collective plural of the people of
> Shem is lmo."

Verses 26 and 27 here say nothing about the posterity, just the
individuals are named. Saying that it refers to the posterity is not
exegesis, but eisegesis, where you are adding to the text. <

Canaan did not physically became a slave to Shem. Noah prophecied
about the posterity.

Vadim Cherny
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm