b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:06:59 -0500

Yigal:

I agree that Noah's words were prophetic, at the time he spoke them,
referring to the individuals named. However, from the context, I disagree
with your original claim that "the "characters" of Noah's sons and
descendants are quite obviously representative figures, who reflect what the
biblical authors thought about their "progeny"." Yours is an interpretation
read into the text, not evident from the text itself.

Is your interpretation correct, or is mine where I say that it is limited to
the individuals named? This is a philosophic and not a linguistic question,
so I won't argue it here. All I note linguistically is that the story as it
stands refers only to the individuals named.

Karl W. Randolph.