b-hebrew - Re: -mw suffix (was Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: -mw suffix (was Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8)
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 10:05:32 +0200

Samuel Arnet wrote:
> No. This is *not* a matter of pausal (LF^MOW) versus contextual
> (L:MOW) forms. LF^MOW may often stand in pause, but the
> contextual form is the same, see Job 24:17; Ps 66:7; 119:165; Isa
> 16:4 etc.
>
> Yes, sorry. I should have written "in the Genesis *19* passage
> mentioned above ...", where K.:MOW appears (not L:MOW). What
> I wanted (but obviously failed) to say was that both the form
> L:MOW and K.:MOW are lemmas for themselves, probably
> variants of L: and K.: respectively, but without any pronominal
> suffix. - L:MOW in fact only occurs 4 times (Job 27:14; 29:21;
> 38:40; 40:4).

It would seem then that L:MOW is the appropriate counterpart
to K:MOW and B:MOW and always appears before the word
it relates to. Perhaps when L:MOW became archaic, LFMOW
developed as a way to relate to some other part in the sentence
that didn't follow it, and again, while it had a tendency to be used for
plurals, this was not always the case. In this reconstruction,
LFMOW never had an independent existence outside "archaic
poetic language," whereas L:MOW did, like K:MOW and B:MOW
still do.

Yitzhak Sapir