b-hebrew - Re: -mw suffix (was Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Samuel Arnet <samuel.arnet AT theol.unibe.ch>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: -mw suffix (was Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8)
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 07:58:11 +0100

Hi Yitzhak,

Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
Hello, Samuel and all,

Samuel Arnet wrote:

Karl Randolph wrote:

The -MW suffix is used well over 170 times in Tanakh, less than a
third of those connected to the L- prefix. When we take into account
all the uses of the suffix, there are several times that it refers to
a singular object. That is more than the at least three times
(Genesis 9:26-27, Isaiah 44:15) that it is connected to the L- prefix
referring to a singular object. Examples include Genesis 19:15
referring to the dawn, Exodus 15:5 where it refers to "a stone",
shall I go on? You need to refer to all of these uses, not to
restrict yourself to those connected to the L- prefix.

I was referring here to the form *LF^MOW*; you, however (in the
Genesis and Exodus passages mentioned above) to L:MOW and K.:MOW, which are separate lemmas.

I have not followed the discussion. But looking at the above examples,
there is no use of L:MOW and it seems that K:MOW corresponds to the "MW" suffix applied to K as it is applied to L in LFMOW (I suppose F is
kamatz, and I guess ^ is a meteg. I don't remember these offhand.) I am not
even sure that the kamatz isn't related to LFMOW being at the sof-pasuk
whereby had it been a word-prefixed form like K:MOW perhaps it too might
have taken a "L:MOW" form.

No. This is *not* a matter of pausal (LF^MOW) versus contextual (L:MOW) forms. LF^MOW may often stand in pause, but the contextual form is the same, see Job 24:17; Ps 66:7; 119:165; Isa 16:4 etc.

So some of the examples in Genesis (9:26-7) and the example of Isaiah 44:15
are all uses of the exact same word as you refer to. Your comment about "L:MOW" then is simply misplaced as it takes Karl's examples and misquotes
them.

Yes, sorry. I should have written "in the Genesis *19* passage mentioned above ...", where K.:MOW appears (not L:MOW). What I wanted (but obviously failed) to say was that both the form L:MOW and K.:MOW are lemmas for themselves, probably variants of L: and K.: respectively, but without any pronominal suffix. - L:MOW in fact only occurs 4 times (Job 27:14; 29:21; 38:40; 40:4).

Samuel

--
zu KAHAL, siehe
http://www.theol.unibe.ch/ibw/projekte.html