b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:46:27 +0200

Ken Penner wrote:
> The question of spoken Hebrew between the Bible and the
> Mishnah is no longer
> a real debate, since Segal's work on the Mishnah and the
> discovery of the
> Dead Sea Scrolls (especially the Copper Scroll, 4QMMT, and the
> Bar Kokhba
> documents). These texts show changes that are explicable as the
> continued
> development of a living language, not as an artificially revived
> Hebraised
> Aramaic.

An ongoing discussion on ANE-list right now had covered the question,
is Mishnaic Hebrew considered today to have been a living language at
the time? Various arguments brought up there (such as the content of
the Bar Kokhba documents) seemed to point that Hebrew died out as a
living language by that time. I myself don't know but am interested in
the opinions voiced either way. See the thread: "the recording of vowels
in sacred texts"

https://listhost.uchicago.edu/pipermail/ane/2004-November/thread.html#15298

Yitzhak Sapir