b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] BLG

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] BLG
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:39:06 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>

> Indeed we cannot be sure that the meaning is the same. But in most cases
> this kind of meaning change is either subtle or in rather obviously
> explainable directions.
>
> --
> Peter Kirk
> peter AT qaya.org (personal)
> peterkirk AT qaya.org (work)
> http://www.qaya.org/

Making the assumption that the change was from a recognizable direction, I
took the meaning of "break (dawn)" and looked to see which way it could have
moved. I then came to the conclusion that it could come from "to appear"
(which is what another cognate language has) or possibly even "to be present"
or a similar idea. The only verse that I find that that definition gives
trouble to is Psalm 39:14, but the trouble comes from how one defines H$(,
does is come from $(H or a noun from $W( to cry out as for help? The second
makes a possible reading as "My cry is that I be present, before I go that I
am not."

At least two of the five uses does not fit "to cheer up".

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm