b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] BLG

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] BLG
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:03:54 +0500

On 21/10/2004 05:33, Karl Randolph wrote:

Peter:

I started writing this off list to another person, but then realized that
this goes to the reason I brought up the question in the first place.

Is the Arabic the only recognized cognate language similarity to BLG? ...

It is the only one mentioned in BDB, which was all I claimed before. Someone else gave further information from HALOT. I have now just opened up HALOT, and there is a mention there of an Egyptian possible cognate BRG, no meaning given, and a suggested link with BLQ which is "to appear" in Syriac, "to dazzle" in Mandaean(?), and "to gleam" in Arabic.

... With all the Hebrew uses of the root being pre-Exilic, making recorded
Arabic uses well over a thousand years later as well as in a different
language, how far can we trust the Arabic term to have the same meaning? Even
in contemporanious uses Hebrew and Aramaic terms sometimes had very different
meanings, Arabic, being so much later as well, is even further from Hebrew.
Already Mishnaic Hebrew shows marked differences with Biblical Hebrew, and
that was earlier than Arabic.

Indeed we cannot be sure that the meaning is the same. But in most cases this kind of meaning change is either subtle or in rather obviously explainable directions.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)