b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] BLG

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] BLG
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:33:50 -0500

Peter:

I started writing this off list to another person, but then realized that
this goes to the reason I brought up the question in the first place.

Is the Arabic the only recognized cognate language similarity to BLG? With
all the Hebrew uses of the root being pre-Exilic, making recorded Arabic uses
well over a thousand years later as well as in a different language, how far
can we trust the Arabic term to have the same meaning? Even in
contemporanious uses Hebrew and Aramaic terms sometimes had very different
meanings, Arabic, being so much later as well, is even further from Hebrew.
Already Mishnaic Hebrew shows marked differences with Biblical Hebrew, and
that was earlier than Arabic.

What I find is that the term, as it is used in Job and Psalm 39, if it has
the meaning of cheering up, it is a gallows kind of cheer, "Eat, drink, and
be merry, for tomorrow we die!" The Amos and Jeremiah uses don't even fit
this sort of cheer. That's why I question the dictionary meaning. But the
uses are too few and not specific enough to recognize its meaning from its
contexts. That's why I hoped for more clues from cognate languages.

This is one of those verbs where I have no idea what it means, other than
certain meanings seem to be ruled out; cheering up is one of the meanings
that seems to be ruled out. Possible meanings include cause to appear, cause
to act, to reach out, etc.

And yes, I really did read break (dawn) as break (down).

Karl W. Randolph.