b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] BLG

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] BLG
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:19:09 EDT

In a message dated 10/21/2004 4:36:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
peterkirk AT qaya.org writes:

> >Is the Arabic the only recognized cognate language similarity to BLG? ...
> >

> It is the only one mentioned in BDB, which was all I claimed before.
> Someone else gave further information from HALOT. I have now just opened
> up HALOT, and there is a mention there of an Egyptian possible cognate
> BRG, no meaning given, and a suggested link with BLQ which is "to
> appear" in Syriac, "to dazzle" in Mandaean(?), and "to gleam" in Arabic.

The Egyptian term is "b3rg3"--to give light or illumine. From the way it is
written in te glyphs, it doesn't look like a cognate but rather group
writing,
that is transliteration of a Semitic term. That it contains /r/ is
insignificant. The Egyptian graphic system contained no "l", so /r/ does
duty for
both.

Marianne Luban