b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Pronoun )nky in Judg. 6:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Pronoun )nky in Judg. 6:8
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 12:58:29 EDT

In a message dated 10/6/2004 9:39:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
hholmyard AT ont.com writes:

> >I don't know how much relevancy can be attributed--but "ink" is a personal
> >pronoun in Egyptian. It means "I am" and is only seen at the start
> >of a clause.
>

> HH: In Hebrew )NKY does not have to be the first word of a clause.
> See Genesis 3:10 and 4:9.

One doesn't count preliminary qualifiers as "And he said", does one? Isn't
the statement of the person a clause in itself? Well, my rules of grammar
may
be rusty, but in Egyptian, this independent pronoun would certainly also be
followed by a qualifier like "Dd.n=f" or "he said" (in the case of a male) .

The pronoun was first written as "nwki" and then later as "ink", "nwk" and
"inwk". Sir Alan Gardiner wrote: "This series (of independent pronouns) is
closely connected with the personal pronouns in Hebrew and Arabic."

Marianne Luban