b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Pronoun )nky in Judg. 6:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "C. Stirling Bartholomew" <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Pronoun )nky in Judg. 6:8
  • Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 09:55:02 -0700

On 10/5/04 11:27 PM, "David Kummerow" <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, Holmstedt is one of the few who *does* argue for a S-V order for
> BH.

That's right, and using Proverbs* as a database. A brilliant move, like
writing a syntax of the Greek clause based on the choruses of Euripides.

On another front, Holmstedt has taken the notion of "eclectic" to new
levels. In Fronting** he advocates the marriage of heaven and hell, Prague
and MIT. Using Chomsky minimalism (?) for syntax and pragmatics for
information structure.

The second part of Fronting* on pragmatics is a good read. The first part
leaves me wondering what Late-Chomsky has to offer for the study of Hebrew
or any other natural language. Once we get past the terminology problem, we
find a nice logical model that has a way of ignoring unwelcome data by
inventing new rules. If we have to choose (do we?) I would rather run with
S. Dik or even Halliday. But since eclecticism is the current rage, I
suspect we will have to give MIT a place at the table.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew

*Word Order and Information Structure in Proverbs
Robert D. Holmstedt University of Wisconsin ­ Milwaukee
http://www.uwm.edu/%7Erdholmst/ProverbsSBL2003.pdf

**The Syntax and Pragmatics of ³Fronting² in Biblical Hebrew1
Robert D. Holmstedt University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
(Draft 1/03)
http://www.uwm.edu/%7Erdholmst/FrontingSBLMW2000.pdf