b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] knowledge of language versus language use (was Pronoun )nky in Judg 6:8)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "J. Raymond Kelley" <jraykelley AT prodigy.net>
  • To: rdholmst AT uwm.edu
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] knowledge of language versus language use (was Pronoun )nky in Judg 6:8)
  • Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 08:09:55 -0700

Robert Holmstedt wrote:

Harold,

I agree with you that there is often a difference (register, perhaps?)
between written and spoken language. And certainly forming sentences is
not an "unconscious" process (or I couldn't even be typing at this very
moment). And I try (but don't always succeed) in choosing my words
carefully, when writing or speaking. ;-)

LOL

Anecdotally, one need go no further than past exchanges on this list amongst people who think that they have expressed their thoughts before hitting "send" only to find themselves later "explaining" something that they were thinking but did not express in the written word or perhaps explaining word usage intended but missed by the audience (such as a bad pun or joke, for example, where the mental assumption of familiarity with the intended recipient forgets that body language and tone gets lost in this medium), and suddenly there is an interruption in the intended discussion wherein explanations and sometimes apologies about the mental process or intended meaning get exchanged.

Ray