b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Pronoun )nky in Judg. 6:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "C. Stirling Bartholomew" <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Pronoun )nky in Judg. 6:8
  • Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 11:22:27 -0700

On 10/6/04 6:03 AM, "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com> wrote:

> I realize that there is no relative pronoun
> before "brought" in [judges] 6:8, but I added it in order
> to show in English what the force of the emphatic
> Hebrew pronoun )NKY might be.

Harold,

A good suggestion. The LXX, Codex B, shows a relative pronoun followed by
a finite verb 3rd person singular. Codex A has a functional equivalent:
the masculine singular nominative article + participle. In both manuscripts
it is clear that )nky is **not** considered the subject of the verb h(lyty.

Judg. 6:8 ... )nky h(lyty )tkM mmcryM ...

The syntax of in the LXX suggests that )nky is outside of the following
clause. This certainly permits (not requires) )nky to be a fronted
constituent functioning pragmatically as a focus marker.

I am not following any particular theory here, I am being eclectic :-)

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew