b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Golden Calf & the Hathor Cult of Sinai ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Michael Banyai <Banyai AT t-online.de>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Golden Calf & the Hathor Cult of Sinai ?
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 18:39:31 +0100

On 19/09/2004 18:27, Michael Banyai wrote:

Peter,

all your hypotheses make sense only in a context in which the cult of golden
calves was interdicted. This is obviously not the case for the period of
Moses till Salomo.

What is your evidence for this? I accept that there were some golden images worshipped during this period (and condemned at least in retrospect) e.g. Gideon's ephod which you mentioned (Judges 8:27), but no worship of calves is recorded. Anyway, I made no claim that this story corresponded with historical truth, only that it is a coherent but possibly fictional story. So any objections that my picture is unhistorical are irrelevant.

So the whole discussion makes no sense since it is contradicted by the wider
evidence against the interdiction. ...

What evidence?

... There is for you no place for the development of a theology, and each
single case necessitates numberless assumptions and exceptions.

Michael, you are leaping to all kinds of unwarranted conclusions about what I might or might not understand about development of theology. I accept that developments took place, just not the specific developments which you have sought to impose on the biblical text by cutting and pasting it arbitrarily.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)