b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Golden Calf & the Hathor Cult of Sinai ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Michael Banyai <Banyai AT t-online.de>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Golden Calf & the Hathor Cult of Sinai ?
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 22:07:58 +0100

On 18/09/2004 20:30, Michael Banyai wrote:

Peter, it´s very fine that you reorder or do not reorder the text, but what sense does the divine sentence at the end of the golden calf episode have for you?
It is hardly to be understood as an interdiction to the Israelites to
generally wear gold, since this was the most popular way one transported in
high antiquity hard currency, before the invention of coins.

Should the Israelites have invented coins "avant la lettre"? Or did they use
paper money? Or they bought everything on credit till the Lydians invented the coins?

I accept that Exodus 33:4-6 is difficult to understand. But then there does seem to be a clear distinction between the `ADI mentioned in these three verses (and nowhere else in the Pentateuch) and the NIZME ZAHAB of 32:2 or simply ZAHAB in 32:24. Aaron collected only gold rings, it seems, as other materials would not help with making a golden idol. After these events, and after the gold had been drunk (or perhaps panned out of water which was then drunk?), the Israelites still had many other ornaments, which they were asked to take off in 33:4-6. These must have included other items of gold which were not used for the golden calf (or which were fashioned anew from the panned gold?) which were then collected in 35:22.

The Israelites had no need to transport hard currency as individuals. They were a "primitive communist" community who held everything in common, and their main lasting wealth was in their animals.

I leave the lough on my side.

And not for the last: is this divine order perfectly in tune with Aarons command, but only in the wrong context. Should we suppose ad absurdum that in the antique one didn´t took on an utmost important question like the creation of a god´s statue prophetic advice?
You are expecting more from my imagination than I do from your conservative text analysis.

I didn't offer a conservative text analysis before (I do now), I just pointed out that anything could be proved by your speculative method.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)