b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Golden Calf & the Hathor Cult of Sinai ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Golden Calf & the Hathor Cult of Sinai ?
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:01:57 -0700 (PDT)

Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org> wrote, inter alia,

:... the position I have put forward, that the
Exodus account is coherent but possibly fictional. Maybe it was written
by a Judahite author pushing a theological view. That isn't my preferred
position, but I deliberately left this issue open. But if it was, we can
expect that author to have written a text which makes sense. While it is
possible that he or she copied passages from very different stories, the
chance of being able to reconstruct those stories reliably is minimal -
unless basically they were the same story in a different form....

"...I have made a decision that the Exodus story is coherent narrative, and
that there is no good evidence not to accept it as a generally
historical narrative in the same way as most other ancient documents
which purport to narrate events are understood as generally historical.
But I accept some later redaction.

. UH : No one is obliged to take a position. However, it helps, if one
does, to state it with clarity. I find the statements above a bit confusing.

My position about the Exodus narratives , and I use the plural here
intentionally, is that they preserve only a genral memory of past events,
as indeed is the case with other segments early Israelite history in the HB.
Scholars have different names to describe the historical value of such broad
canvas; "proto - history'" is used by A. Malamat to describe the period of
the Patriarchs, for example. I prefer the term Outline History.

Uri

From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:37:10 -0500
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genre & inference

Clay:

I can think of one consequence for the lexicographer.

There is the temptation to view each use of a lexeme as explicit, making a
semantic lexicon give a lexeme that is sometimes used explicitly, sometimes
implicitly, multiple, unrelated definitions.

When I question word definitions, one of my questions is, “Is this an example
of explicit or implicit speech?” In other words, are the words to be
understood as commonly used, or do we have an example like Peter Kirk’s
“Yeah, right!”? That is sometimes difficult to answer, but made easier by
trying to be very careful in lexicography.

As a translator, OTOH, there is often no corrosponding implicit speech in the
target language, forcing the translator to make explicit what the text has as
implicit. Thus a dictionary specifically made for translators will include
explicit meanings that may be accurate only for the target language, and
incorrect for others.

Karl W. Randolph.