b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] The Golden Calf & the Hathor Cult of Sinai ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Banyai AT t-online.de (Michael Banyai)
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] The Golden Calf & the Hathor Cult of Sinai ?
  • Date: 18 Sep 2004 19:30 GMT

Peter, it´s very fine that you reorder or do not reorder the text, but what
sense does the divine sentence at the end of the golden calf episode have for
you?

It is hardly to be understood as an interdiction to the Israelites to
generally wear gold, since this was the most popular way one transported in
high antiquity hard currency, before the invention of coins.

Should the Israelites have invented coins "avant la lettre"? Or did they use
paper money? Or they bought everything on credit till the Lydians invented
the coins?

I leave the lough on my side.

And not for the last: is this divine order perfectly in tune with Aarons
command, but only in the wrong context. Should we suppose ad absurdum that in
the antique one didn´t took on an utmost important question like the creation
of a god´s statue prophetic advice?

You are expecting more from my imagination than I do from your conservative
text analysis.

So if they despite all consulted a prophet, whose god´s sentence one would
have requested? Not of Jahweh to whom they have pilgrimed?

So I see, we should better leave major questions unanswered even if this is
against our rationale.

Best regards,

Bányai Michael

Stuttgart