b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Golden Calf & the Hathor Cult of Sinai ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Michael Banyai <Banyai AT t-online.de>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Golden Calf & the Hathor Cult of Sinai ?
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:35:16 +0100

On 21/09/2004 20:20, Michael Banyai wrote:

I donĀ“t read neither a general interdiction of jewels for the Israelites, nor
is this an act of mourning, which we could document with biblical habits. As
such, as a mourning gesture this is an invention of Peter Kirk, basing more
on assumptions or common sense, which however is a no lead. It either is or
not is a known gesture of mourning by the Hebrews. And should one go with
Peter, than why does this same gesture in the story of Dinah? Is it not
rather a signature of the Judahite redactor re-using his own previous
recepture?

The idea that Exodus 33:4-6 is a mourning gesture is certainly not my invention. Use of the word "mourn" in v.4 goes back at least to KJV, as a rendering of the Hebrew 'BL Hithpael, which is the common word for "mourn".

As for whether removing jewellery was a sign of mourning ('BL Hithpael, 'EBEL, 'ABEL) among the Israelites: It is entirely clear that mourning was associated with wearing sackcloth and other mourning clothes: Gen 37:34; 2 Sam 14:2; Est 4:3; Psa 35:13,14; Isa 61:3; Jer 6:26; Ezk 7:27(?), 24:17; Amos 8:10; Micah 1:8. This is something hardly compatible with wearing jewellery. See also Ezk 26:15-17, where taking off embroidered garments is clearly a sign of mourning. In fact I would think that it is more or less a cultural universal that people wear less adornment as an indication of mourning. Does anyone know of any counter-examples?

And what is this about a parallel in the story of Dinah? I don't know what you are talking about.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)