b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 9:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 9:6
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 08:50:06 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 05, 2004 6:23 AM

> On Saturday 04 September 2004 21:10, Sujata wrote:
> > In the JPS Bible, Isaiah 9:6 (KJV) 9:5(JPS) is
> > translated as
> >
> > For a child is born unto us, a son is given unto us;
> > and the government is upon his shoulder; and his name
> > is called Pele-joez-el-gibbor-Abi-ad-sar-shalom
> >
> > What is the literal translation of
> > Pele-joez-el-gibbor-Abi-ad-sar-shalom
>
> In this case, I think the literal translation is "cop-out." The rendering
of
> the old KJV and other English translations is quite literal: wonderful
> counselor, mighty God, eternal father, prince of peace. Who knows why the
> JPS decided just to transliterate the Hebrew...

The reason is quite obvious. Christian translations have traditionally
understood this prophecy to reffer to Jesus, and then used this quite
complicated name as a series of messianic titles. The JPS wanted to avoid
this, and to emphasize that this is a (real or symbolic) personal name. Just
like "Jonathan" is not translated "Yahweh-has-given" in any Bible I know of,
why translate this name? I don't see the KJV translate "Immanuel" in 7:14
etc. as "God-is-with-us". Wonder why? ; )

Now I do agree that this is a "cop-out". Since the name IS symbolic, it
should obviously be translated in souch a way as to make the reader
understand the symbolism. This is one of many places in which I think that
JPS "over did it".

Yigal