b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 9:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 9:6
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 06:31:18 -0500

Dear Sujata,

The phrase that Karl breaks into "God (supernatural), Hero (human)" appears again in Isaiah 10:21, where it's translated "mighty God." Also there is a Masoretic conjunctive accent joining the two words. The phrase "prince of fulness" is more probably "prince of peace." The word for "peace" often carries this meaning in contexts of rulers of nations, the immediate context favors it, and the word is used with that meaning at the beginning of the next verse. The accents do favor the separation of "wonder" and "counselor," the way Karl has done, even though most translations seem to join the words together with something like "Wonderful Counselor." The phrase Karl translates as "Father of Time" (Abi-ad) is interestingly one word in the BHS edition of the Hebrew text, though the lexicons I have do not handle it that way. They divide it into )BY ("father") and (D ("time, eternity").

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

Dear Karl,
Thank you so much for this beautiful translation.
Could you please tell me the hebrew phrase that you
translated to "Father of Time "

> A literal translation of each noun has: miracle,
counsellor, God, hero (or mighty one), father, eon,
prince, fullness (often translated as ìpeaceî).

I read this as two intersperced groups of three
attributes: Miracle (supernatural), Counsellor
(human), God (supernatural), Hero (human), Father of
> Time (supernatural), Prince of Fullness (human).

> Karl W. Randolph.

> > For a child is born unto us, a son is given unto
> us;
> and the government is upon his shoulder; and his
name