b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 9:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Awohili AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 9:6
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 13:53:27 EDT

It is not a "cop-out" for a Jewish translation, whose target audience is
assumed to know some Hebrew, to transliterate the Hebrew titles (if they are
titles) found at Isaiah 9:6. The New JPS translation, called Tanakh,
renders: "He
has been named 'The Mighty God is planning grace; The Eternal Father, a
peaceable ruler."

Some other Jewish translations (e.g., Artscroll/Mesorah) read similarly, and
a "literal translation" of the words is open to more than one style of
rendition. The first translators of the Hebrew expression who produced the
LXX, if
reading the same MT, somehow came up with "and his name is called the
Messenger
of great counsel; for I will bring peace upon the princes, and health to
him." (Brenton's translation)

Solomon Landers