b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "C. Stirling Bartholomew" <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:49:09 +0100

On 17/08/2004 17:18, C. Stirling Bartholomew wrote:

Peter Kirk wrote:

The rather similarproject on which I have been working (see
http://www.ktbh-team.org/) has had a lot of input from cognitive linguists
who are also experts on RT. From my own perspective, this input has been
hard to assimilate; in principle it should make for a very good product but
in practice the effort required to get there looks unrealistic.

Peter,

I read the relevant portions of your paper "Holy Communicative" and it
sounds like Ernst-August Gutt has raised some very good questions about DE
translation methodology. While I applaud his efforts, that issue is somewhat
outside of my current focus which is semantics defined in a broad sense
(spilling into pragmatics somewhat).

My goal is to develop a working model for defining cognitive frames.
Relevance Theory looks like it might significantly contribute to the
theoretical structure for a project of this nature, so I am taking a look at
it. As a test case the verb CWR (Ex. 32:4) provides a problem challenging
enough to smoke out weakness in the theoretical model.

Clay, I only criticised a very small part of Gutt's argument. Plenty of what he has written deals with application of RT to written texts, and not only to translation. I would advise you to read his book if you want to understand the application of RT to ancient texts.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)