b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Paragraph marks in Hebrew text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <cierpke AT prodigy.net>
  • To: Richard Burks <rburks9400 AT comcast.net>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Paragraph marks in Hebrew text
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:26:40 -0700 (PDT)

Bill:

Your best bet would be to read the section in Emanuel
Tov's Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible. 2nd
edition. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2001. pp 50-53:

A unit in the Masoretic Text beginning a new topic (a
main subdivision) started on a new line. Thus the last
line had to be left blank after the last word of the
preceding unit. For this practice the Masoretes used
the term parashah p'tuchah (open section). The main
textual unit could itself be subdivided into smaller
units separated by a space-amounting to nine letters
according to the later tradition-within the line. For
the spacing in the middle of the line the Masoretes
used the term parasha s'tumah (clesed section)

These are presprestned by the the letters pe and
samekh respectively.

Kevin