b-hebrew - Re: Ramases, was [b-hebrew] Amalekites!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Ramases, was [b-hebrew] Amalekites!
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:28:53 -0500

Peter:

Shortly after the Tower of Babel, when Egypt was settled, there weren’t
enough pharaohs to name all the cities and areas after. Therefore, many
places were named after the first settler, farmer, town founder, whatever, at
the place. True, before a pharaoh was named Rameses, it was an uncommon name,
but it is Egyptian. With the way the records are so fragmentory, we can’t
rule out a place name named after the first farmer in the district.

Karl W. Randolph.