b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Singers

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Singers
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:51:49 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>

It’s also found in the Lisowski’s concordance.

I was being lazy and using only the electronic search function, which
sometimes misses words because the data file was not designed for unpointed
searches. Most of the times it works, though.

> > The explanation of $RYM being found in post-Exilic literature is that that
> literature is historical, referring to pre-exilic actions. Though the
> post-exilic word would usually be used, what's to prevent a pre-exilic word
> from sneaking in when describing pre-exilic events?
> >
> > Karl W. Randolph.
>
> Could very well be. But can you rule out Me$orerim being used in pre-exilic
> Hebrew, but just not in the texts that we have? Or post-exilic people also
> using the "old" term in daily usage. That's why I suggested that the
> difference may be semantic, rather than chronological.
>
> Yigal

I personally believe that Qohelet is pre-exilic.

The problem arguing for a semantic reason is that the only large document we
have spanning this time in Biblical Hebrew is Tanakh, and its use of the
Pilel participle as a noun to refer to singers is only in post-exilic
writings. As for daily use in spoken language, we can only guess based on
written records. But the use pattern is certainly suggestive of a
chronological use difference.

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm