b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The islands

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: VC <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The islands
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:21:27 -0700

On 08/06/2004 10:45, VC wrote:

I'm referring to the dictionaries of living Hebrew, like Shapiro or
Steinberg, not a Tanakhic dictionary with speculative interpretations
instead of the established meanings.

Sincerely,

Vadim Cherny

Well, maybe the word has changed its meaning in the last 2500 years or however many it is since Isaiah and Jeremiah wrote. As someone has already mentioned, many Shakespearean English words have completely changed their meanings in just 400 years. These changes happen in every language. So we need to look at a dictionary of the meanings current in the original authors' time, not a dictionary of modern Hebrew.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)