b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The islands

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The islands
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 21:17:51 +0200

Dear Vadim,

While I really have not decided whether )Iy primarily means "island" or
"coastland", using a "dictionary of living Hebrew" is problematic. There is
no doubt that in both Mishnaic and modern Hebrew, )Iy means "island".
However, this alone is no proof that that's what it meant in biblical
Hebrew.

By the way, does anyone have a guess about the word's etymology? Does it
appear in other Semitic languages?

Yigal