b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The islands

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "VC" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The islands
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 07:16:09 +0300

> >My question was, what problem could Jews in mountaneous Jerusalem have
with those islands?

> Why take a narrow Jerusalemite perspective? The prophets were working
within literary tradition extending centuries back and miles away. Hostility
towards Sea Peoples could be part of those traditions or memory traces. Why
take the poetic output of the prophets as a specific delineation of
geographic and political realities of their period and city?

They did not write the scriptures. They were composing saga to be read at
marketplaces. They spoke of the relevant events. Try rallying the modern
Americans against the British.

Vadim Cherny

> J.C. De Moor writes in his book 'The Rise of Yahwism', (Pages 205-206):".
Israel was still living in Transjordan, far from the sea. Yet the text of
(Habbakkuk 3) v. 14b creates the impression that the "countrymen" of Israel
felt threatened by the hordes of Yam. A feasible solution is to assume that
the poem reflects early Is&shy;rael's reaction to another invasion of the
Sea Peoples in Canaan, in the last decade of the 13th or the first decade of
the 12th cen&shy;tury B.C. Merenptah records a clash with the Sea Peoples,
among them Sherdanu, in his fifth year (c. 1207 B.C.). Note the
sim&shy;ilarity of the designations of Yam, "him who walks in guilt" (Ps.
68:22) and "the Evil One" (Hab. 3:13). Again the Israelites were victorious,
but the order of magnitude of the clash was much big&shy;ger. Apparently we
are closer to the catastrophal wave of attacks c. 1190 B.C."