b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The islands

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Noam Eitan <bhebrew AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The islands
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 16:11:42 -0700 (PDT)

>My question was, what problem could Jews in mountaneous Jerusalem have with
>those islands?

Why take a narrow Jerusalemite perspective? The prophets were working within
literary tradition extending centuries back and miles away. Hostility towards
Sea Peoples could be part of those traditions or memory traces. Why take the
poetic output of the prophets as a specific delineation of geographic and
political realities of their period and city?

J.C. De Moor writes in his book ‘The Rise of Yahwism’, (Pages 205-206):”…
Israel was still living in Transjordan, far from the sea. Yet the text of
(Habbakkuk 3) v. 14b creates the impression that the "countrymen" of Israel
felt threatened by the hordes of Yam. A feasible solution is to assume that
the poem reflects early Is&shy;rael's reaction to another invasion of the Sea
Peoples in Canaan, in the last decade of the 13th or the first decade of the
12th cen&shy;tury B.C. Merenptah records a clash with the Sea Peoples, among
them Sherdanu, in his fifth year (c. 1207 B.C.). Note the sim&shy;ilarity of
the designations of Yam, "him who walks in guilt" (Ps. 68:22) and "the Evil
One" (Hab. 3:13). Again the Israelites were victorious, but the order of
magnitude of the clash was much big&shy;ger. Apparently we are closer to the
catastrophal wave of attacks c. 1190 B.C.”

Noam Eitan, Brooklyn, NY