b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The islands

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "VC" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The islands
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:13:02 +0300

Dear Reinier,

I'm not sure how do you read Is23:2, but it seems to me that Zidonians
crossed the sea to replenish the islanders. So the islands are offshore. cf.
big waters in the next verse.

Hebrew is not a dead language, nor it had ever been. A line of
Hebrew-speaking Jews never ceased in millennia. This is the oldest living
language. Consider that Masorets knew even the cantillations; how much more
certainly they knew the meaning of the words! If for millennia islands were
islands, then there is a very high burden, indeed, to translate them as
coastland.

I don't take an appeal to the translation authorities, such as NJPS, as an
argument.

I mean, I'm not pushing any other translation. I really don't know what was
the problem with these islands - unless, of course, these are the much later
inserts in Isaiah about the Greeks, but then there is no evidence of inserts
in the two relevant psalms.

Best regards,

Vadim