b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The islands

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "VC" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The islands
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 11:06:16 +0300

Dear Reinier,

The translation of "coastland" is perfectly reasonable. However, can we
disregard the established meaning of the word and attach it the sense, which
we think suits it better? This approach can lead as far away.
Besides, the Tanakhic authors had pretty good grasp on geography. They
probably could distinguish between an island and a coastland, even more so
since a large part of their country was a coastland or very close to it.

Best regards,

Vadim Cherny