b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The islands

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Reinier de Blois <r.de.blois AT solcon.nl>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The islands
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 03:56:33 -0700

On 08/06/2004 01:54, Reinier de Blois wrote:

If you want more proof I can refer you to Isaiah 23:2 where the traders
of Sidon and the inhabitants of the COASTLAND/ISLAND seem to be
identical.

Reinier, while in general I agree with you, I don't think this example proves anything. It is at least possible to understand "the inhabitants of the COASTLAND/ISLAND" as the people of Tyre, which, as Yigal points out, was an island, with the parallelism being the common one between Tyre and Sidon, also seen in v.4 where the "fortress of the sea" is surely Tyre.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)