b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The islands

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "VC" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The islands
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:23:30 +0300

Built a kilometer-long land bridge?
"Alexander, that he might refresh his army, harassed with many former
encounters, had led only a small party towards the walls, rather to keep the
enemy busy than with any prospect of much advantage," Plutarch. This seems a
land city.
But, of course, there is good argument also in favor of Tyre being an
island.

If the islands are Greek, why Isaiah was concerned with them? How could they
threatened landlocked Jerusalem?

Sincerely,

Vadim Cherny

> In the specific case of Tyre (not mentioned in Isa. 20), remember that the
> city WAS an island, almost a kilometer from the coast. The "suburb" on the
> coast was called Ushu in Mesopotamian documents, probably the Hosah of
Josh.
> 19:29, mistakenly called Paleotyrus by the Greeks. It was Alexander who
> connected the city to the coast in order to conquer it, in a huge
> engineering project.
>
> I had always assumed that the far-away Iyyim are the Greek islands in
> general, though in some cases the reference may be to a coastline. The
Greek