b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Verbal Root - CHET-RESH-MEM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Reinier de Blois" <r.de.blois AT solcon.nl>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Verbal Root - CHET-RESH-MEM
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 20:23:55 +0200

Dear Chris,

I doubt whether Ch-R-M is part of the same semantic domain as "to curse"
at all, even though some translations render CHEREM as "curse" in some
contexts. It may be closer to Q-D-SH (see Lev. 27:21,28; Num 18:14).

By the way, since CH-R-M means death for living creatures the idea of
being separated from God is not entirely absent.

Best wishes,

Reinier