b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Pentateuch authorship inconsistencies - DH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Pentateuch authorship inconsistencies - DH
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 20:22:04 -0500

Dear Patrina,

I agree. Additionally, it would be anachronistic for Deut 16:22 to have
been written by the same author as Genesis 28:22, for example.

Deut 16:22 - Neither shall you set thee up [any] {'mastebah'} pillar;
which YHWH your Elohim hates.

Gen 28:22 - And this stone {eben}, which I have set [for] a 'matsebah',
shall be Elohim's house: and of all that you shall give me I will surely
give a tenth to You.

It also would be a very strange thing for Joshua (who was tutored by
Moses) to do, if he knew of/understood a divine authorship of the command
in Deut 16:22.

Josh 24:26 - And Joshua wrote these words in the book of the law of
Elohim, and took a great stone {eben}, and set it up there under an oak,
that [was] by the sanctuary of YHWH {bmiqdash YHWH}.

'bmiqdash YHWH' - IN the sanctuary of YHWH?

HH: This solution will not work, since Joshua was alive at the same time as Moses, and he was supposed to keep the law that Moses wrote. Another idea, which goes against the translations I just checked, is that the relative clause in Deut 16:22 is a restrictive clause: "And you must not set up a matsebah pillar that the Lord your God hates." So there would be the kind of pillar that He hates, in contrast with the kind He does not hate. A third possibility is that in context the word in Deuteronomy carried connotations of paganism. The previous verse suggests such a connotation:

Deut. 16:21 ΒΆ Do not set up any wooden Asherah pole beside the altar you build to the LORD your God,

Since the Asherah pole was associated with pagan idol worship, probably the matsebah pillar mentioned in Deut 16:22 was, too.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard