b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 12:59:23 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Harold,

I'm afraid that I may disappoint you, in that my view of the HB is strictly
secular, and thus do not consider all historical information contained in it
as fully valid as if it were inspired or dictated by a super-natural source.
Which, I hasten to add, does not make me a so called 'minimlist' whose
position I reject on various grounds.
From that point of viewt the verse you cited does not provide historical
but theological information to the reader, that is it attributes divine
authority to the text. Interestingly, already in the eleventh century, in an
intellectual and sociological environment that practically excluded secular
approach to the HB, the famous commentator Abraham Ibn Ezra hinted that Moses
could not have written the book of Deuteronomy; if memory serves he added the
words "wehamevin yavin" - let he who understands, understand.
I believe that all discussion on the timing of the writing of biblical
books, other than diachronic, is speculative.
To cite a possibility of partially different source to the former
prophets:
"....J continues into the narrative that is distributed through the books
of Joshua, Judges, 1 and 2 Samuel and the first two chapters of I Kings. P
also ppears to me clearly to continue into the latter half of the book of
Joshua...."
(From the recent The Bible with Sources Revealed by Richard Elliot
Friedman HarpeSanFransisco, p.6, He has an excellent introduction to the
Doumentary Hypothesis and adds a few of his own.)
Thus in addition to to his Dt1 and Dt2 (!), J and P which are much
earlier , in many scholars view, are components of the DH.
Now, I have my own speculation as to when the latter was composed, but
there is no need here to overburden the patient electorns with another
speculation.

Uri

"Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com> wrote:
Dear Uri,

What would some say may not have been so? Are
they saying that Deuteronomy was not written at
one time and place? The Book of Deuteronomy says
that it was.

Deut. 31:9 ¶ So Moses wrote down this law and
gave it to the priests, the sons of Levi, who
carried the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and
to all the elders of Israel.