b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, Michael Banyai <Banyai AT t-online.de>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 05:55:44 -0700

On 02/06/2004 16:47, Uri Hurwitz wrote:

This may have been so, but, some would say, more likely not have been so. In short, sheer speculation, like much that has been speculated on this subject.
Uri

Absolutely. My point is that my speculation is no less likely than Michael's that the texts were all written at one time and place, and we have no way of knowing which is true.

*/Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>/* wrote:

the kind of model I have in mind is:

1) Deuteronomy was written at one time and place.

2) The other literature e.g. much of Joshua-Kings which so clearly
echoes the languages and themes of Deuteronomy was written at a later
time, and potentially a different place, in imitation, either
deliberate
or accidental, of Deuteronomy.

Therefore, Michael's stylistic argument that Deuteronomy and
Joshua-Kings were written at one time and place fails.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)