b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "George F. Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 06:00:14 -0700

On 02/06/2004 17:46, George F. Somsel wrote:

Harold,

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I think Peter and Uri were
referring to JEDP and the Documentary Hypothesis. According to this
Deuteronomy was "found" in the temple and was the impetus for the
Josianic reforms. It was, shall I say, an "occassional piece", i.e.
written for the occassion. The histories were then written upon the
program of Deuteronomy with the centralized sanctuary, etc.

What some say may not have been so that Uri referenced is that not all
agree to the Documentary Hypothesis.

I was not referring to the Documentary Hypothesis, but deliberately left the issue open of when Deuteronomy might have been written. But, whether it was written in Moses' or Josiah's time, or any other time, there is at least a good chance that other books were written by different people at a later time who copied the style of Deuteronomy. It is not provable, I know, but it is a possibility which disproved Michael's argument that all of the book were written at the same time and place.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)